We're hiring a GIS Project Manager. Click here for the job description or read below.
Job Title: GIS Project Manager
Reporting to: Managing Director
Staff responsible for: GIS technical team
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration: 12 month fixed term contract, renewable
Geo Gecko is a Ugandan Irish geo-intelligence company based in Kampala, Uganda. We analyse geographic data to provide our clients with the information they need to understand their environment and take decisions. Recent projects involved mapping the movement of refugees into Uganda (ugandarefugees.org), geo-analysing elephant poaching activity in DR Congo, quantifying agricultural activity using satellite imagery and measuring urban growth patterns of one of the world’s fastest growing populations.
In data-starved East Africa, we utilise a variety of data sources including satellite, aerial, UAV, field data collections and data acquisitions from partner agencies. We clean, process and analyse this data to create actionable information products.
We are seeking an innovative and imaginative GIS Project Manager who can independently implement projects with the support of a team of GIS specialists. This is an opportunity for a technically skilled person to work on a variety of projects in a fast-paced environment in a developing market.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop GIS project plans including defining requirements, tasks and deliverables in cooperation with (prospective) clients.
- Implement GIS related projects to the standards agreed and within the required timeframe, while exercising professionalism and maturity towards colleagues and the client.
- Interact with clients and address any questions and concerns as part of project implementation.
- Carry out tailored short trainings for clients in GIS and related fields.
- Oversee and mentor the technical team to ensure deliverables are up to standards and staff members develop their skills further.
- Ensure staff has training, technical support and hardware as needed.
- Proactively identify organizational and technical inefficiencies and propose solutions.
- Research potential GIS and satellite applications in various sectors.
- Maintain expertise in GIS related software and technologies.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED
· A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in computer science, geography or a related field.
· A minimum of three years’ work experience in GIS or a related field.
· Skill to work with various GIS software applications, such as Arc, QGIS and ILWIS.
· Skill to work with various satellite imagery analysis tools, such as ENVI, ERDAS, AgiSoft and Pix4D.
· Skill to work with data management and various database systems, such as PostGIS.
· Demonstrated cartography skills.
· Demonstrated ability to analyse complex problems, evaluate alternatives and make sound recommendations.
· Communication skills that stretch from being able to prepare and present reports in a clear and well organised manner to explaining the value of GIS to non-technical persons.
· Ability to manage a variety of projects and research tasks with differing priorities at the same time.
· Sensitivity to a multicultural environment and client-base.
· Experience with piloting unmanned aerial vehicles is an advantage.
PROCESS & OFFER
The GIS project manager will work in the Kampala office in a close-knit, diverse and dynamic team.
Periodic completion of online trainings will be a job requirement.
Short domestic or international assignments may be required.
A competitive package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline: 27th June, 2017.
Email CV and cover letter to 'info at geogecko dot com' with ‘Application: GIS Project Manager’ in the subject line.